As I reflect on today's Bible Study topic (The honor of working at home), I find it interesting how so many women view being at home with their children differently based on their experiences and what led them to being a stay at home mother. We discussed feminism and the role of staying at home or being a working mother. Some were painfully disappointed about what they had given up in their career for the mundane tasks of managing a home and caring for their children. Our book discussed how feminism pushes women into the workplace and undermines the role of a homemaker. I did not feel this pull from society; however I was not in a career where I was asserting myself to climb the ladder. I desired to come home with Jayden immediately after he was in my arms. I had so much anxiety about returning to work, so when I read this chapter regarding the pressure to work as a mother. I didn't connect with it. After today's discussion I came to realize that it was the longing to stay at home with Jayden that created the desire to be at home with my children. This desire, that at one point I could not have, is what keeps me going on the days were things get extremely stressful or mundane(ie. Mady poops and throws up all at the same time).
No, I don't enjoy the monatony of filling endless sippy cups or folding loads of laundry or even vacumming the floors several times a week. However, I wouldn't give up the best job in the world when I think of all of it's perks: Reading Eric Carle's The Very Busy Spider to my son as he makes all the animal noises and recites the book with me by heart, Tucking my children in at night and saying to them "We will have so much fun playing together tomorrow", Waking Jayden up from a nap and wisping him out to the garage to fingerpaint, Blowing endless zerberts on Madelyn's belly as she giggles with excitement, Having the time to cook hearty and healthy meals (and have them on the table) for my husband when he walks in the door, Sitting in the sunshine to blow bubbles with Jayden as he attempts to learn how to blow without getting bubble juice all over his lips.....For these things I thank God for the blessing of being a Stay at Home Mother of Two .....I love you Josie, Jayden and Madelyn
Christmas Parade
12 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment